Salem Scholars Program Coordinator
Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Salem Scholars Program Coordinator. The Salem Scholars Program is a new curricular and co-curricular scholarship program designed for a highly selective group of college students interested in examining health challenges in today’s society. The person in this position will have an opportunity to play a critical role in the program’s development and execution and provides institutional leadership in developing and managing a program that will cultivate excellence among high-achieving undergraduates interested in the College’s Health Leadership transformation. As such, Health Leadership will be integral to the program and inform the Coordinator’s development of the Salem Scholars as outlined below. The Salem Scholars Program Coordinator will report directly to the Assistant Professor and Director, Leadership Program.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of women in health leadership. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with the Assistant Professor of Leadership/Leadership Program Director to coordinate admission, orientation, programming, and advising for Salem Scholars, a highly selective scholarship program for students who are interested in health and have a demonstrated record of leadership.
- Provides support with the initiatives of the Leadership Program Office as they relate to the Salem Scholars.
- Works with the Dean of Admissions to provide academic oversight for admissions standards and review applications.
- Coordinates with Admissions and Orientation staff to ensure appropriate communication and expectations for incoming Salem Scholars.
- Works closely with Admissions to provide outreach to underrepresented groups to ensure a vibrant and diverse program.
- Assists students in connecting with faculty and departments, provides advice on curricular and GPA expectations, introduces them to research and service opportunities, and fosters an engaged, challenging, and supportive community for all Salem Scholars.
- Plans and coordinates community-building programs for Salem Scholars.
- Provides workshops and individual coaching to Salem Scholars on making connections with faculty and being a successful mentee.
- Manages the budget for the program and co-curricular activities.
- Creates, maintains, and updates all website content for Leadership Program and Salem Scholars Program.
- Tracks Salem Scholar attendance and provide reports on levels of student engagement
- Assesses student retention, GPA, and satisfaction of the Salem Scholars.
- Assists in research (surveys and focus groups) related to the Salem Scholars Program and related constituents.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
- Master’s degree in public health, science, health sciences, or related field
- 2-3 years of experience working with and advising undergraduates, including experience with undergraduate program management
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate with students, faculty, administrators, staff, and families
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage budgets
- Familiarity with current communication and marketing techniques, including social media
- Ability to work with diverse populations and create an inclusive atmosphere within the Salem Scholars Program and the College community
- Experience using technology in program management, assessment, and evaluation.
While performing the responsibilities of the Salem Scholars Program Coordinator, the employee is required to sit for varying lengths of time; bend, reach, lift, push, and pull up to 25 pounds; occasionally stand, walk, and kneel and regularly ascend/descend stairs; use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard; perform extended periods of work at a computer workstation, view a computer monitor; perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word; and work in an office setting.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.