Public Health Faculty
Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for a full-time, open-rank faculty member in Public Health. The faculty member would teach undergraduate public health courses and lead in program and curricular development.
About Salem Academy and College
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college dedicated to developing the next generation of women leaders in health. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership in creating an undergraduate curriculum that will facilitate Salem College’s Health Leadership transformation.
- Teach courses required for BA/BS public health majors
- Develop public health electives.
- Effective teaching, community engagement, and student interaction.
- An integrated liberal, professional, and civic engagement approach to pedagogy.
- Embrace an interdisciplinary, creative, and innovative approach to population health that works towards advancing health equity and reducing health disparities, including minority health disparities.
- Demonstrate a commitment to teaching excellence and service to the college.
- Effectively teach introductory public health courses, core disciplines of public health, applied public health courses (e.g., internship and service learning), and electives based on course demand.
- Advise and mentor students.
- Assist in building community partnerships, engage in program assessment/accreditation processes, and create opportunities for student-faculty collaborative research/service opportunities.
- Work to recruit/retain students majoring/minoring in Public Health.
- PhD in Public Health or related practice experience is required.
- Teaching experience in Public Health-related courses.
- Experience with curricular development.
- Ability to establish business and community partnerships.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled with a start date of August 2022.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.