Educating girls since 1772, Salem Academy fosters compassionate and creative leaders, prepared for college and life, who chart their paths with character, curiosity, and courage. Salem Academy seeks a Mandarin Chinese teacher to join our faculty starting in August 2019.
This position is a part-time position with the possibility of becoming a full-time position.
The Mandarin teacher will teach at least three Mandarin courses and serve as the International Student Coordinator to assist with international student life in the United States.
Mandarin Teacher Responsibilities
- Teach three Mandarin Chinese courses including Honors Mandarin II, Honors Mandarin III, and Honors Mandarin IV
- Provide a range of learning strategies to meet the different needs of students
- Administers performance-based assessments to evaluate students’ language proficiency
- Work collaboratively with other members of the World Languages department to develop, implement, and evaluate curriculum
- Mentor and connect with international students
- Serve as an advisor for both International club and Chinese club
- Coordinate International Day
- Offer extracurricular activities such as a Chinese New Year celebration
- Establish and maintain relationships with college world language program
- Serve as a Class Advisor
- Be involved with International Student Orientation
- Attends monthly department meetings
- Manage additional communication with Chinese families with WeChat
- Meet with ASSIST students monthly and complete the monthly report
- Participate in professional development activities by attending seminars and workshops
- Optionally reside on campus as a house counselor
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s preferred
- Prior teaching experience at the high school or college level
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with other Academy administration, faculty & staff
- Proficient technology skills with Word, Excel, social media, and learning management systems (Google Classroom)
- Familiarity with ACTFL Standards and Integrated Chinese (Textbook)
- Must be able to walk upstairs and on hilly terrain on campus
- Must be able to lift 35 lbs
The start date for the position is August 1, 2019.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in its employment practices. Salem Academy and College provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees and encourages women and underrepresented minorities to apply.