Salem invites applications for a full time Groundskeeper. Under the general direction of the Executive Director of Operations, as an essential employee, the Groundskeeper reports directly to the Assistant Director of Grounds. Groundskeepers generally provide routine grounds maintenance, project landscaping, and setups for functions, and any other duties assigned. Groundskeepers must be physically able to perform tasks appropriately.
About Salem Academy and College
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college dedicated to developing the next generation of women leaders in health. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide general grounds maintenance for the Salem campus.
- Check equipment and perform routine maintenance to ensure everything is in working order
- Repair malfunctioning equipment units and broken structures
- Respond to grounds maintenance, repair, and work order requests
- Select and contract specialists on larger maintenance-related projects as directed.
- Advise Assistant Director of Grounds and Executive Director of Operations during new tool and equipment purchases.
- Assist with the snow removal as needed
- Work cooperatively and effectively with all members of the department, and other campus constituencies.
- Keeps work area, buildings, and property in clean and orderly condition.
- Performs routine grounds maintenance activities.
- Performs grounds maintenance duties, and functions specific to assigned areas and/or based on needs for seasonal/project requirements.
- Use grounds maintenance solutions, pesticides, and chemicals correctly in preparation of and during maintenance, according to instructions.
- Perform general construction assignments including, carpentry, woodworking, fence building and repair, and other associated tasks.
- Follows procedures for the use of chemicals and power machinery to prevent injury and damaged equipment.
- Assists with managing inventory of grounds maintenance supplies.
- Drives vehicles required to perform or travel to maintenance work, including Salem vehicles, vans, or industrial equipment.
- Notifies supervisors regarding the need for repairs.
- Unlocks gates, doors, ensuring they are locked after completing grounds maintenance.
- Reports needs and concerns to supervisor/appropriate staff, which may include submitting or recommending work orders and checking supply levels within on-campus storage areas, and responsible for reporting concerns related to on-campus residents.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Assists in on-the-job training of new staff on routine procedures.
- Train employees on proper equipment maintenance and usage.
- Report issues with vendors, students/faculty/staff/parents, etc. to supervisor.
- This position will have daily contact with internal individuals (students/faculty /staff/parents, etc.).
- Must be flexible with work hours and have the ability to take 24 hours on-call duty.
- Performs other tasks, duties, and responsibilities as assigned.
- Pick up and remove trash/debris from the property and dispose of it appropriately.
- Operate various types of garden and landscape equipment including power mowers, weedeaters, saws, hedge trimmers, sprayers, power brushes, dump truck, golf carts.
- Performs tasks such as mowing, planting, aerating, seeding, fertilizing, trimming shrubs, blowing, removing leaves, raking, edging, salting, shoveling snow, removing ice, watering, and pruning.
- Clean and maintain water features.
- Performs minor routine maintenance on ln equipment and tools.
- Clean and upkeep sidewalks, driveways, parking lots.
- Maintains Athletic fields.
- Performs moving and hauling and special setup functions as required.
- Patch campus roads, drives, and parking lots when instructed.
- Package delivery when requested.
- Ability to work rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, during inclement weather, campus emergencies, and during other circumstances requiring grounds maintenance staffing.
- Performs other duties when assigned.
Position, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Self-motivated with the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Ability to safely use maintenance equipment and supplies.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Ability to understand written and verbal communications
- Excellent communication, oral, interpersonal, and writing skills.
- Strong troubleshooting skills including the ability to multi-task and work independently with demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Ability and skill to give appropriate feedback to coworkers and supervisors.
- Ability to communicate across levels of staff.
- Knowledge of groundskeeping best practices, procedures, and terms associated with grounds maintenance, and physical plant operations.
- Knowledge of inventory control practices.
- Working knowledge of groundskeeping principles and power landscape equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship between diverse operating groups, personnel, and organizations.
- Ability to organize work and maintain schedules.
- Ability to cope and adapt to changing requirements, needs, and goals (sometimes rapidly changing).
- Ability to evaluate situations and recommend action and/or cost-effective solutions.
- Ability to perform repetitive motion for long periods of time.
- Excellent manual dexterity, innovative/critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrate proficiency with technology, computers, and computerized maintenance management system (CMMS).
- Ability to efficiently and accurately enter, edit, mark as completed, add notes, complete work orders, etc. within CMMS system.
- Demonstrated experience in groundskeeping/horticulture.
- Physically capable of lifting 80 pounds.
- Strong understanding of grounds maintenance processes and methods.
- Experienced in operating a variety of equipment, including skid-steer, snowblowers, lawnmowers, and small hand and power tools.
- Working knowledge of tools, common appliances, and devices.
- Submit to random drug testing.
- Groundskeeping/horticulture experience and Pesticide license preferred.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Valid driver's license.
- Bend, squat, stand, kneel, walk, run, crawl, and climb.
- Regularly ascend/descend stairs.
- Walk for long distances and sit for varying lengths of time.
- Reach above shoulders, handle keys/tools/objects, push, pull, carry, or lift over 80 lbs.
- Work may necessitate accessing and working in confined spaces or high spaces.
- Must be physically able to operate the equipment required to perform duties.
- Work in an indoor/outdoor environment subject to changing temperatures.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, climb ladders, and work at heights
- Considerable physical activity. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing or pulling required of objects up to 80 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of the job.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
- Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
To apply, please email a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the Search Committee. The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.