Chief Marketing and Communications Strategist
Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for a Chief Marketing and Communications Strategist position. The Chief Marketing and Communications Strategist will work as a part of Salem’s executive team leading the design, development and flawless execution of a comprehensive integrated marketing communications plan. Responsibilities include ensuring consistency in positioning, branding, messaging, and promotions with economy and efficiency toward various constituents including faculty, alumnae, current and prospective students, and the surrounding community. The Chief Marketing and Communications Strategist will work to bring his or her vision for integrated marketing to both internal and external constituents. The integrated marketing communications plan will include environmental and competitive analyses, market research, objectives and strategic direction, appropriate metrics, budget proposal, and a tactical plan (i.e. advertising, promotions, online/web/social media, and communications). This plan must convey the institution’s mission as well as the institution’s strategic priorities to multiple audiences, internal and external, while defining and leveraging Salem’s distinctiveness, achievements, and key initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include but are Not Limited to the Following:
- Embrace, support, and advance the stated mission and strategic priorities of Salem Academy and College;
- Create, advance, and manage a marketing and communications vision that is in accord with the institution’s mission and strategic priorities articulating who we are and what our brand promise is to external and internal constituents;
- Develop the institution’s branding, marketing and communications programs;
- Conduct regular audits of the institution’s branding, marketing and communications programs;
- Lead with a customer-first mindset, developing a data informed position on who current and target audiences are and implementing strategies and tactics that help acquire and retain valuable audiences;
- Lead market research to help identify and define strategies for key audience segments/targets;
- Manage the development of Salem’s data and customer relationship management strategies;
- Work to identify strategic strengths and weaknesses of the institution’s marketing and communications programs and make corrections accordingly;
- Set key performance indicators to measure and report on the impact of marketing efforts;
- Stay on top of current marketing practices and implement test and learn initiatives to identify breakthrough new strategies that can drive enrollment, maintain brand relevance, and have a positive brand impact;
- Gather, analyze, and disseminate market intelligence which assesses the needs, perceptions, expectations, and satisfaction of students, faculty, staff, alumnae, and other stakeholders;
- Develop and advance successful and competitive strategic positioning of new academic programs and the successful repositioning of existing academic programs, support enrollment growth and student retention, and highlight the talent and activities of the faculty;
- Manage the financial responsibilities for the marketing function to include managing the marketing budget and allocating dollars appropriately across content creation, paid advertising, influencer marketing, partnerships, public relations, agency/institution fees, etc. with a goal to maximize spending effectiveness;
- Direct institutional brand identity, image standards, and consistent voice;
- Define and manage the tactical elements of key messaging and marketing mix choices;
- Develop and manage an ongoing comprehensive integrated marketing communications plan;
- Advise campus executives and leadership on innovative and evolving marketing and communications strategies and status of integrated marketing communications plan;
- Work to foster a spirit of teamwork and collaboration among the Salem community and;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or a closely related field. Master’s degree in a related field is preferred;
- 7+ years of related work experience in marketing strategy, product/service development/launch, brand management, and marketing communications;
- Significant executive-level marketing and communications strategy development and management experience. Prior experience in higher education is preferred;
- Significant brand development, brand management, and messaging strategy experience;
- Experience working with creative strategy and resources in the areas of content marketing, communications/public relations, social media and mobile marketing, direct marketing, websites, broadcast, and print media;
- Significant cross-functional project management experience;
- Ability to create integrated marketing communications plans, to develop product/service positioning, provide market and competitive analysis, and develop and manage metrics;
- Ability to drive consensus among diverse and disparate groups;
- Ability to communicate persuasively and work collaboratively;
- Ability to build and maintain relationships fostering an environment of mutual respect, understanding, and trust;
- Willingness to challenge the status quo and move quickly to test and learn new strategies and tactics;
- Excellent presentation and communication skills and;
- Strong research and analytical skills.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae to Emily Young, Director of Human Resources and Benefits, at email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.