Biology - Open Rank Faculty
Salem Academy and College invites applications for a Biology - Open Rank Faculty position. This tenure-track position is scheduled to begin in January 2023. We are seeking a faculty member with teaching expertise in anatomy and physiology and microbiology, and scholarly expertise in a biological field, who will also support Salem’s new health-related academic programs, such as Health Sciences and Health Humanities. The successful candidate’s specialization within biology might include immunology, advanced cell biology, or environmental microbiology. Further, we seek applicants who have a demonstrated commitment to educating a diverse student body and facilitating efforts in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of women in health leadership. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Standard teaching load of seven courses per year, including:
- Anatomy & Physiology I and II lectures and labs
- Microbiology lectures and labs
- Lecture for biology course for non-science majors
- One or more elective courses in the successful candidate’s sub-discipline
- One-course release in the first year of employment
- Support students’ independent studies and advise/mentor students
- Engage students in scholarly research
- Work on other teaching and learning projects as needs and interests arise
- Participate in service to the Biology Department and the College, including committee membership
- PhD in Biology or closely related discipline; applicants with a terminal degree in another academic or professional field with a focus on or experience in health are also invited to apply
- Experience teaching anatomy & physiology and also microbiology as the instructor of record within a higher education setting
- Experience mentoring undergraduate and/or graduate students
- Active record and program of scholarship
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching excellence and innovation at the undergraduate level, including active learning and engagement of students with diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- Excellent interpersonal and English communication skills – in the classroom, with colleagues, in written work, and in listening
- Demonstrated ability to engage in innovative projects involving students
- At least three years of undergraduate teaching experience as the instructor of record
- Experience teaching immunology, advanced cell biology, environmental microbiology, or ecology at an undergraduate level
- Experience teaching biology to non-science majors
- Experience with course and curriculum development
While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to sit for varying lengths of time; occasionally stand, walk, and kneel and regularly ascend/descend stairs; use hands and fingers to handle or feel and manipulate keys on a keyboard; perform extended periods of work at a computer workstation, view a computer monitor; perceive sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and receive detailed information through oral communication; express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word; and work in an office setting.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae; a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement; a statement of teaching philosophy; and contact information for three professional references to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Biology Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law in its employment practices.