Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies and Online Learning
Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, invites applications for Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies and Online Learning. The Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies and Online Learning will play an important role in the day-to-day operations of the undergraduate studies programs at Salem College, with particular emphasis on supporting adult students and other lifelong learners through effective online programming and seamless advising processes. The Associate Dean will also develop and manage processes for the College’s undergraduate and graduate online programs, with particular focus on maintaining compliance with state and federal regulations.
About Salem Academy and College
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772. The institution is currently celebrating its 250th anniversary and is engaging in transformational change to innovate in women’s education. Salem Academy is a college preparatory school located on a diverse, active college campus focused on preparing young women for careers in STEAM. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college dedicated to developing the next generation of women leaders in health. Salem Academy and College is located in Winston Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known for arts and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Deans of undergraduate and graduate studies to monitor all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations related to online courses and programs
- Implement institutional processes for compliance with federal and state distance education regulations
- Maintain state authorization agreements and/or NCSARA membership
- Maintain professional licensure disclosures for distance education programs
- Establish and maintain strategy for developing, sustaining, and expanding online learning offerings
- Lead the institution’s quality assurance process and protocols for online courses and programs
- Collaborate with faculty to ensure that online offerings are coherent, cohesive, and demonstrate comparable rigor to programs offered in traditional formats
- In collaboration with the AVP for Academic Affairs, develop and oversee strategies for competency mapping and badging
- Design and implement strategy for online certificate and micro-credential programs and establish partnerships with local businesses looking to upskill employees
Advising & Retention
- Provide initial advising for Fleer Center (adult undergraduate) & transfer students
- Lead Fleer Center open houses and student orientations
- Assist in monitoring academic performance for all undergraduate students
- Serve a key role in the college’s Early Alert team to enhance retention and implement technologies for improved retention processes
- Maintain syllabus templates and regularly assess/update academic policies for undergraduate studies
- Manage leave of absence and withdrawal processes and data, using this data to re-assess the college’s retention practices
- Assist in the planning and execution of New Faculty Orientation and adjunct faculty onboarding to ensure effective pedagogy within undergraduate studies instruction
- Manage initial student grievances if they do not need to be elevated to the Dean of Undergraduate Studies for further consideration
Articulation Agreements & Dual Degree Programs
- In collaboration with the Dean of Undergraduate Studies, develop strategy for establishing articulation agreements and external dual degree partnerships
- Maintain database of articulation agreements, dual degree relationships, and cross-registration agreements. Regularly review agreements, promote, and assess the partnerships based on student outcomes.
- Work to collaborate between graduate and undergraduate studies units to bridge any gaps, develop clear pathways, possible internal dual degree programs, and flexible pedagogical models, such as hybrid or hyflex instruction, to enhance access to education for adult learners
- Engages in other duties as assigned by the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs & Dean of Undergraduate Studies.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline; PhD or terminal degree preferred
- Three years of progressively responsible administrative/educational leadership experience
- Experience teaching in and/or building online programs
- Knowledge of federal and state compliance requirements and regulations related to online courses and programs
- A thorough understanding of the needs of adult learners
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae and three professional references to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, ex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.