The Foundation of our Community
“The Honor Code plays a big part in our behavior, not just academically, but socially, too. It’s pretty simple, it’s about being nice to each other.”
Ava Heinen A’20
The best way to learn and grow is to be part of an honor-bound community, one where
- All members are accepted for who they are
- Discussions are open, honest, and forward-moving
- Deep trust among all members creates a safe, nurturing, and family-like environment
Salem’s Honor Code is the foundation of our life together. In addition to the words expressed in the written version of the Honor Code, we strive each day to live its principles. Indeed, it is a privilege to live in a community that brings out the best in each of us.
Salem Academy Honor Code
- I will accept responsibility for my actions and accept their consequences while at Salem Academy and in the community. This means that I will obey both the rules of the school and the laws of the land.
- I will not lie or deliberately make a false statement with intent to deceive.
- I will not cheat. Cheating is the giving or receiving of information that leads to an unfair advantage over others.
- I will respect the property of others. I will not take another’s property without her permission. I will not steal, damage, or destroy property that does not belong to me.
- Salem Academy students have the privilege of self government. I must support and manage that system. Should a violation of Salem rules occur, it is my responsibility to uphold the system by either confronting the violator or by reporting the violator to the appropriate person through any of various means designated by the Academy.
- I will be honest and considerate in all my actions.