ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIPS FOR NEW STUDENTS
For the 2022-2023 academic year, high achieving students in STEM, performing arts and the visual arts will be eligible to apply for academic scholarships at Salem Academy. In addition to the regular admissions process, students wishing to apply for these scholarships must do the following:
- Complete the scholarship program application
- FOR STEM applicants: Prepare a 90 second to three minute video presentation on any of the following STEM topics:
- A woman in STEM who inspires you
- Challenges faced by women in STEM
- Climate Change
- How increased use of technology is changing our society
- FOR PERFORMING ARTS applicants: Prepare a 60-90 second monologue
- FOR VISUAL ARTS applicants: Submit an original piece of art
Once a student has completed the scholarship program application, we will contact you with the specifics for the rest of your scholarship submission.
For 2022-2023, there are twelve scholarships available; three each for STEM, the Performing Arts, and the Visual Arts, in the 9th and 10th grade. They are as follows:
First prize $16,000 scholarship ($4,000 per year to be applied over the next 3 or 4 years, respectively).
Second prize $12,000 scholarship ($3,000 per year to be applied over the next 3 or 4 years, respectively).
Third prize $8,000 scholarship ($2,000 per year to be applied over the next 3 of 4 years, respectively).
Scholarship Program Application
There are many scholarship opportunities at Salem Academy. Below are some examples.
All students are automatically considered for our academic Saber Scholarship upon application to Salem. No other form is required. Scholarships are based on a student’s academic record and activities.
The Admissions Office will award a $500 legacy scholarship to any current or prospective student whose grandmother, mother, aunt, or sister attended Salem Academy or College. Please notify us if your daughter is eligible for this scholarship!
SISTERS AND FOUNDERS MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS
Recipients of the prestigious Sisters Merit Scholarship* receive full tuition, room and board, along with preference for Honors Internships. Recipients of the Founders Merit Scholarships receive partial tuition awards (up to half), as well as preference for Honors Internships.
To qualify, the student must:
- Be a U.S. citizen applying for ninth or tenth grade
- Demonstrate a strong academic foundation
- Be in the upper echelon of scores on a Salem Academy approved admission test
- Have demonstrated school and community leadership
- Foster trust, responsibility, and a sense of the value of each member of her community
*Recipients of the Sisters Merit Scholarship must be boarding students (outside a 25-mile radius); the Founders Merit Scholarship is open to boarding and day applicants.
Both scholarships are renewable, providing the recipient:
- Demonstrates a commitment to the Honor Code
- Is on the Honor Roll
- Shows involvement in the school community through athletics, arts, clubs, or activities
- Participates in community service each semester
- Serves as an ambassador for Salem Academy
APPLY! ONE APPLICATION, TWO SCHOLARSHIPS
To be considered for the Sisters and Founders Merit Scholarships, the student must:
- Complete a Merit Scholarship Essay
- Submit one personal recommendation from someone outside the applicant’s family (e.g., advisor, coach, mentor)
SISTERS AND FOUNDERS MERIT SCHOLARSHIP TIMELINE
- February 11, 2022: Completed admissions application, merit essay, and test scores due for day student applicants; receipients notified by February 22, 2022
- February 28, 2022: Completed admissions application, merit essay, and test scores due for boarding student applicants
- March 2022: Boarding finalists will virtually visit campus for scholarship interviews
For more information please feel free to contact Jessica Rogers in the Office of Admissions at 336.721.2643 or email email@example.com.