Financial Aid & Scholarships
Balancing High Quality with Affordability
“Salem offered us financial aid and that made it all possible. We deeply appreciate how generous they’ve been.”
Jennifer Groman-Murphy P’21
Salem Academy understands the financial demands families face today. Our promise: We will work closely with you to find the best possible solution.
Options for Aid include
1. Need-based Financial Assistance
Salem’s Financial Assistance Awards are made based on demonstrated financial need, which is established through the Parent Financial Statement (PFS). To apply for assistance:
- Complete the PFS form
- Include Salem’s school code: 7048
- Upload a copy of your 2018 tax return when prompted
Once we receive these items, Salem’s Financial Assistance Committee will evaluate needs and grant awards. To better understand the evaluation, please read Understanding Your Family Report.
Note: Financial assistance awards are reevaluated each year and families must file a new PFS form each spring.
2. Referral Award
Salem offers a $1,000 Referral Award to current families who refer a new family to Salem Academy. The award is applied toward tuition and includes the following criteria:
- The family must be new to Salem Academy
- They must notify us of your referral
- They must pay their deposit and registration fees
All students are automatically considered for our academic Saber Scholarship upon application to Salem. No other form is required. Scholarships are based on a student’s academic record, standardized test scores, and activities.
The Admissions Office will award a $500 legacy scholarship to any current or prospective student whose grandmother, mother, aunt, or sister attended Salem Academy or College. Please notify us if your daughter is eligible for this scholarship!
The Opportunity Scholarship Program expands school choice in North Carolina by awarding grants up to $4,200 per year. The application opens on February 1 with a priority deadline of March 1 and the scholarship is renewable for all 4 years.
Sisters and Founders Merit Scholarships
Recipients of the prestigious Sisters Merit Scholarship* receive full tuition, room and board, along with preference for Honors Internships. Recipients of the Founders Merit Scholarship receive partial tuition awards (up to half), as well as preference for Honors Internships.
To qualify, the student must:
- Be a U.S. citizen applying for ninth or tenth grade
- Demonstrate a strong academic foundation
- Be in the upper echelon of scores on a Salem Academy approved admission test
- Have demonstrated school and community leadership
- Foster trust, responsibility, and a sense of the value of each member of her community
*Recipients of the Sisters Merit Scholarship must be boarding students (outside a 25-mile radius); The Founders Merit Scholarship is open to boarding and day school applicants.
Both scholarships are renewable, providing the recipient:
- Demonstrates a commitment to the Honor Code
- Is on the Honor Roll
- Shows involvement in the school community through athletics, arts, clubs, or activities
- Participates in community service each semester
- Serves as an ambassador for Salem Academy
Apply! One Application, Two Scholarships
To be considered for the Sisters and Founders Merit Scholarships, the student must:
- Complete a Merit Scholarship Essay
- Submit one personal recommendation from someone outside the applicant’s family (e.g., advisor, coach, mentor)
Sisters and Founders Merit Scholarship Timeline
- January 3, 2020: Completed admissions application, merit essay, and test scores due
- Mid-January 2020: Finalists will be notified
- February 20-21, 2020: Finalists will visit campus for scholarship interviews and activities