Stepping into the World
January Term is when we really shake things up! It takes place the 3 weeks following winter break, and it’s all about learning through exploration.
“During Jan Term, I did volunteer work at a local elementary school. Giving back to the community is really important to me. I felt like it was a blessing to me as much as to them.”
Jeanine Ikekhua A’20
Jan Term includes
- Fun, hands-on courses & activities for freshmen and sophomores on campus
- Internships for juniors and seniors
- School-sponsored trips abroad, open to all students
On-Campus Explorations: Freshmen & Sophomores
New for 2020! Ninth and tenth grade students work in partnership with Love out Loud, a local nonprofit, to immerse themselves in the Winston-Salem community. They research an issue of interest and spend their mornings doing community service. Each afternoon, students experience something new in Winston-Salem as they explore the city’s businesses, educational institutions, and arts organizations.
Off-Campus Opportunities: Juniors & Seniors
These opportunities include internships and travel!
Jan Term Internships, including alumnae honor internships, give juniors and seniors the opportunity to explore a career of interest. Students work with a field advisor to secure a location, develop goals, write and present about the experience at Jan Term Share Day.
"I interned in the film industry with a Salem alumna, Andrea Passafiume A’88. I worked with her at Docs in Progress, an NGO for documentary filmmaking, and on Tribeca Film Festival's programming. I also worked with her husband, Tom, with the Discovery Channel. I had an amazing opportunity working with editors and production managers there.”
Maiya Barsky A’17
Academy students recently interned at:
- Paralyzed Veterans of America, Washington DC
- The Children’s Home, Winston-Salem
- A nursing home in Seville, Spain
- Bell, Davis, & Pitt Law Firm, Winston-Salem
- Docs in Progress, an organization for documentary filmmaking
- Arts Council of Winston-Salem
- The Mount Airy News, Mount Airy
- Smith Reynolds Airport, Winston-Salem
- Holocaust Museum & Education Center of Southwest Florida
- Mount Vernon Historic Home
- Smith Farm Elementary School, Winston-Salem
Travel: Open to all students
Each year one of Salem’s academic departments sponsors an international trip. The adventure is designed to fun, educational, and mind-opening.
2020: Germany, Switzerland, & Austria sponsored by the Fine Arts department
2021: Belize, sponsored by the Athletics department
2022: Spain, sponsored by the History department
2023: Ecuador and the Galapagos, sponsored by the Science department