Now in its third century of sustaining a community in which girls learn best, Salem Academy remains dedicated to fostering the intellectual, spiritual, social, and physical growth of young women.
Founded in 1772 by the Moravian church, Salem Academy flourishes today as an independent, college-preparatory school that celebrates its diversity and affirms each student’s uniqueness.
As advocates for women in leadership roles, we recognize our place in a global society and persist in our commitment to a lifetime of learning. We pledge ourselves to retain and nurture those values which encourage each student to take risks, show integrity, and discover her passion as she sets out on her own journey.
To implement our philosophy we have formulated the following objectives:
TO PREPARE STUDENTS FOR A LIFETIME OF LEARNING BY:
- admitting students who are of college-preparatory quality
providing for small classes and individual attention
fostering mature attitudes toward work and the development of effective study habits requiring mastery of subject matter
- encouraging logical, independent, critical, and creative thinking
- broadening the intellectual, artistic and cultural horizons of the students
guiding students in the selection of colleges most suited to their needs
TO FOSTER ETHICAL AND SPIRITUAL GROWTH BY:
- maintaining an honor system which promotes personal integrity in every girl
- offering a program which allows students to express and to practice their own religious beliefs
- offering opportunities for, and encouraging participation in, service to the community
- making a consistent effort to inspire each girl to practice consideration for all individuals
- teaching a sense of individual responsibility necessary and desirable for good citizenship in a school community and in a democratic society
TO FOSTER MENTAL AND PHYSICAL WELL-BEING BY:
- admitting students whose academic background and character indicate the potential for personal and intellectual achievement
- providing a well kept physical plant, nutritious and appetizing meals, and a well staffed health service
- offering a physical education and athletic program that promotes good health, develops physical skills, and promotes sportsmanship
- sponsoring student organizations and activities which provide opportunities for service, leadership, and recreation
- emphasizing the development of self-discipline, self-confidence, and self-esteem through the encouragement of high standards of personal conduct