The Health Services department helps to care for students in times of illness, provide them with health information on a number of issues, and make referrals to off-site specialists. These are free services. There is also a weekly physician clinic.
Health Services is open Monday—Friday, from 8:30 am–12:00 pm and from 1:00–4:00 pm.
- Laina Smith, RN, BSN, BC, Director of Health Services
- Dr. Suzanne Hilton, Director of Medical Services
- Stephanie Campbell, CNA
The counseling program at Salem Academy is directed by Jenny Orr and is divided into three parts: education, group counseling, and individual counseling. Topics of discussion include stress, time management, skills for living in a community, friendship issues, body image, family issues, relationship building, and others. Ms. Orr also works with teachers, administration, and parents to foster each student’s positive emotional, social, moral, and cognitive development, and general well-being. If there is a concern about a student, a referral form is filled out and she will meet with the student to further examine the issue.
Students are always welcome to schedule an appointment with Ms. Orr, and appointments occur over one class period—preferably a free period or study hall.
Information that is shared between a student and a counselor is confidential. This means that, except for specific circumstances, what a student tells the counselor will not be shared with anyone else. Exceptions are if a student asks the counselor to tell someone, if the counselor thinks a student is in danger or is a danger to herself or others, or if a judge orders the counselor to tell others.
- Jenny Orr Release Form | For authorizing the release of information about the student to Jenny Orr, LPC, NCC, for individual counseling.
- Release of Information to School | For authorizing the release of information about the student to the head of school and dean of students.
- School Counselor Referral Form | For referring a student to a school counselor.